HIV Related Myopathy - loss of bowel control

Dr. Dieterich: I have recently been diagnosed with HIV related myopathy which has caused numbness in the anal and rectal area and a concurrent loss of countenence. What can I do to manaage and/or minimize what has recently become a serious quality of life issue for me. My physician has not had any experience with this and I'm left on my own to find my way. thanks, Scott Coder (a former patient of yours)

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Scott, That can be very troubling. This is neuropathy and meds that help that may help. Often Elavil at bedtime is helpful and stool hardeners like imodium. If it is from the D drugs, then you might consider switching. Finally, some people think that carnitine, Co Q and riboflavin can help neuropathy. DTD

Fat abdomen - truncal obesity
No-Flush Niacin