The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Gynecomastia and Testosterone
Aug 14, 2004

I was treated with testosterone (with no perceivable benefits), and developed painful gynecomastia originally on one side only. Before the link was recognized my HIV doctor sent me to a surgeon who imaged it, and removed the benign tissue. The surgery was paid for by Medicare.

Now the other side has developed even larger and more painful, but the surgeon's billing person won't allow the surgery to go ahead because she's concerned that Medicare may not pay this time. Another surgeon has said the same. They both want a large cash deposit from me as backup, but I can't pay that.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the swelling, and/or pain? I'm in a manual wheelchair (ataxia), and it's getting harder to push. I'm also really strangely lopsided, but I can live with that. Thank you.


Response from Mr. Vergel

Brad: Ask your doctor to get you a prescription for Arimidex at 1 mg a day. Take it for 2 months and let me know if the problem gets better.


is there a link, nelson?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint