Cardiomyopathy

I have known of my + Status since 1996. I began treatment and have remained relatively free of major problems, until; In July of 2002. (prior to this time, I had repeatedly compained of exhaustion, and of losing my breath as soon as I moved.) I was having a terrible time breathing, feeling very weak and dizzy, to the point of "sit down or fall down". I could barely walk, but when at rest I was able to re-catch my breath. After two trips to the ER it was suggested that I have an Echocardiogram. That visit resulted in immediate hospitalization and the determinization that my blood ejection rate was only 10% of what it should have been. A 'Schwanz' (?) catheter was inserted. My surgeon, who had expected blocked arteries, said there was none. The diagnosis was "Cardiomyopathy", a dilation of the heart muscle. When my Infectious Disease doctor came to my room, he handed me a report from the New England Journal of Medicine(1999)that explained; those who had taken Protease inhibitors, had shown links to severe premature coronary artery disease.I had been taking Viracept for the previous five years. I have lost a lot of weight, and look almost skeletal. I want to exercise to rebuild my body, but I'm so short of breath that exercise lasts only minutes. That was a very long story, to ask your advise re: 'Exercise', how and what to do. Also, to point out the danger of Viracept.Thanks for addressing this topic. Steven F

Steven:

I would take Carnitine at 3000 mg a day and Co-enzyme Q-10 at 300 mg a day to strengthen your heart. Start with very low intensity exercises until you build up energy. You may want to start working out once a week first, then twice and finally 3 times a week when your energy and functional capacity are ok. Walking 20 minutes a day will be a good start.

Let me know how things go!

nelson

balancing lipo hard fat in stomach and facial wasting
Dietary Concerns