The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Alternative ways to control triglycerides
Jun 24, 2004

Hi Nelson, It is a true blessing to have someone like you and The Body around for guidance. I cant tell you have much you have helped me and countless others. I just got my test results. My doctor and myself are very happy with all the numbers except my Cholesterol and Triglyceride levels. Cholest level is at 219 and Trig level is at 297. I try to control what I eat and do weight training and 25 minutes of cardio a day. Also take Acetyl-L Carnitine, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and NAC supplements per Dr. Kaiser's recommendation on his website, with my Multi's. Im also on Sustiva, Emtriva, and Viread. Doing great on this combo. My doctor mentioned Tricor, but I really want to find some sort of alternative way to lower the levels. Ive heard of Profibe, and Guggal Gum. Do you know of these at all. Or of any other alternative ways to lower my levels. Im sure there is a way without having to hit Tricor or any of the Statin drugs. Once again----Thank You

Response from Mr. Vergel

Thanks for your kind words. I would try Omega 3 oil capsules at 2000-3000 mg/day. That should do the trick. By the way, Sustiva is known to increase triglycerides, so if nothing else works, you may want to talk to your doctor about switching you to Viramune instead. Tricor works pretty well for trig's, but I share your concern about having to take another prescription!


adherence-i liked your answer

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint