I'm off AZT and lifting weights, now what?

Dear Nelson, How are you doing (T cells, viral load, exercise schedule, etc)? I haven't heard from you in several years. I hope that you can make it to the next Market Days in Chicago.

I just dumped retrovir (AZT) for tenofovir (Viread). I had taken AZT since the first days of ACTG019 (1988). I'm now taking abacavir (Ziagen) with the tenofovir (Viread). In a few weeks I'll have a viral load test, to make sure that tenofovir (Viread) plus abacavir (Ziagen) are working as well as the prior regimen (retrovir + abacavir).

Retrovir (AZT) caused too many problems for me to consider joining a jym. Now I feel that I can start working out on a regular basis.

I bought your book (Built To Survive!) a few years ago, but AZT prevented me from working out, because of the weeks of muscle pain that would always follow a workout. Neuropathy also seemed worse after a physical workout (not necessarily at a gym).

I'm looking forward to following the advice in your book, and looking for improvements in my physical fitness.

Thanks, Tom

Tom:

I am sorry it took me a long time to answer this email. I am a little confused with your email. Are you taking Ziagen and Viread as a dual therapy only with no other drug? Talk to your doctor about this combo since some interactions have been found that limit the effectiveness of this combination. I am sure you know that triple drug therapy is the way to go also, right? I hope your work outs are going great!

nelson

rice cakes... swell?
Drug interaction with fat burners