Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

blood pressure question and hgh
Jun 3, 2004

Hi i have high blood pressure and currently on ace inhibitors but are not doing a great job unless i add a diuretic and those usually make me feel weak and tired. I dont remember where i read where a high blood pressure pill will control your hypertension and release more human growth hormones into your blood stream, is this true? and if it is do u know the name of the pill.

Response from Mr. Vergel

I did a search on hypertension and growth hormone output and came up with a very small study (shown below).

Are you overweight? If so, losing weight is a great way to bring your blood pressure down. Diuretics are very effective to treat hypertension, but I am concerned about excessive water, stamina, weight and sexual drive loss that they may cause. Exercise also reduced blood pressure ,but be careful if your BP is not controlled before you exercise ( watch out if you get light headed and stop right away!)The DASH diet is also known to help a lot (read the article below)

You may want to read this excellent article in this site: http://www.thebody.com/apla/apr02/hypertension.html

Here is the small study. I would suggest you talk to your doctor or cardiologist.

Enalapril restores depressed circulating insulin-like growth factor 1 in patients with chronic heart failure.

Corbalan R, Acevedo M, Godoy I, Jalil J, Campusano C, Klassen J.

J Card Fail. 1998 Jun;4(2):115-9.

Catholic University of Chile, Santiago.

BACKGROUND: Congestive heart failure (CHF) is characterized by increased activity of the renin-angiotensin system. Recent experimental studies have shown that infusion of angiotensin II results in depressed plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) and weight loss. We have previously reported that stable patients with CHF have decreased activity of the growth hormone (GH)-IGF1 axis. We have hypothesized, therefore, that angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibition therapy should restore GH-IGF1 activity in CHF patients. METHODS AND RESULTS: Nine patients with stable CHF who were taking digitalis and diuretics, New York Heart Association functional class III were studied before and after 8 weeks of therapy with Enalapril (10 mg twice daily). We measured IGF1 levels, radionuclide left ventricular ejection fraction (EF) and peak oxygen consumption (PVO2). We found that 7 of 9 patients had abnormally low levels of IGF1 (0.2-0.5 mU/ml). IGF1 levels reverted to normal after Enalapril therapy (0.36 +/- 0.03 to 0.8 +/- 0.14 mU/ml, P = .004). This was associated with a significant increase in EF (27.4 +/- 1.1 to 31.4 +/- 0.9%) and PVO2 (14.8 +/- 1.2 to 18.6 +/- 1.5 ml/kg/min) values (P < .05). CONCLUSION: Chronic ACE inhibition therapy restored previously reduced IGF1 plasma levels in patients with CHF, most likely by reducing angiotensin II activity.

High Blood Pressure- How to bring it down

Previous
Benefits of L-Arginine
Next
rice cakes... swell?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.