Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Young Girl- Constant Diarrhea
May 12, 2004

Dear Mr. Vergel, I am a 18 year old female, who eats a well balanced diet and excercises regularly, and has been having diarrhea since I was 12 years old. It has only got increasingly worse. Often, being nervous is directly correlated with the sudden urge, which has been happenning since I was a small child. However, as I have gotten older, I have had to go, on average, maybe 4 times a day. Somedays, it is ten, and others, maybe just a loose stool once. However, although I have learned to live with it, it has put a serious cramp in my lifestyle, such as being unable to sit through a funeral or a family dinner at my boyfriends house. Not to mention, along with the diarrhea comes gas, naturally, which, when being held in for politness sake, I develop massive cramps. Nevertheless, my main concern, the huge pain associated with the diarrhea, has caused my life to be strained heavily. I have not noticed weight loss, even though my meals are often excreted an hour after consumption without any visual presence of digestion. I am wondering if this could be a parasite, an infection, a lactose intolerance (I have tried no dairy, and it worked for a brief time, then ceased to help me), or even something such as Crohns Disease. I am not taking any medications. If you could suggest a diet for me that could help, or a possible cause, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank so much for your time!! Sincerely, Kathleen.

Response from Mr. Vergel

Katleen:

You need to go see a doctor. He/she may want to take a stool sample to test for parasites. You may also be required to have a colonoscopy. You may also have food allergies, or Crohns Disease or IBS. In the meanwhile, see if calcium carbonate supplements at 2000 mg a day and Citrucell fiber twice a day helps you some (you may get more gas with this, so be careful). Try to avoid insoluble fiber and diary. But do go to a doctor as soon as you can. You did not tell me if you were HIV positive, though.

Nelson

Previous
Host Defense
Next
mild health problems in asymptomatic individuals

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.