Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Steroid Therapy Necessary?
May 12, 2004

I've been positive for almost 2 yrs now; late 20's; viral load undetectable; and t-cell counts consistantly in the 200's. I eat well and workout 6x week and look great. My question is re: your 'built to survive' philosophy. I mentioned this to my doctor after I found out that my testosterone levels are always slightly lower than 'normal' -- and my doctor said that since I'm not wasting and so young there's no reason to introduce steroids... as it would be more 'cosmetic' than medical. I'd like to bulk up a bit -- how would you recommend I approach the issue with my doctor? Thanks.

Response from Mr. Vergel

It is very hard to justify the use of anabolics if you are within normal weight, specially if your doctor has no training on this issue. Some doctors are not afraid to prescribe them to increase lean body mass in those who may have lower than normal body weight, estimated by BMI (body mass index) of less than 21-22, or if you have lost weight and cannot regain it by just eating a normal diet and exercising.

People think I advocate for the use of anabolics for everyone. What they forget is that I wrote the book during times when wasting was among our main killers.

Nelson

Previous
Anabolic steroid usage and intimacy
Next
My menstration has stopped

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.