viread and abacavir

i recently attended one of your seminars in fort lauderdale and you commented that viread and ziagen should not be combined since they may act against each other.i was on trizivir only succcesfully for three years and then after the study questioning its eficacy my doctor suggested adding viread to boost the strength.my question is ziagen is one of the components of trizivir,correct.have i actually weakened my regimen by combining viread and trizivir.a couple of drs saidtheyknew of no interaction.can you help please with an explanation.thanks so much.as always your recent lecture was inspirational.

You welcome. I enjoyed having 200 people in that room! Fort Lauderdale is a great place for poz people!

So far, it seems that having AZT in that combo may be OK. So if you are taking Trizivir plus Viread, the AZT may help to balance the antagonistic effect of Viread+Ziagen. But no one really knows for sure. I know many people on the Trizivir+Viread combo doing very well.

Talk to your doctor, but I would not worry too much if your viral load is undetectable and your T cells are good.

For more on this interaction, read a great article in this site: http://www.thebody.com/confs/ias2003/young1.html

I hope this helps!

Nelson

which new medicine looks promising in the pipeline?
Deca/Testosterone Injections