Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

just tested positive
Apr 10, 2004

dear vergel; I just found out that im hiv positive. 3/19/04. on that day i felt like i was hit with asledge hammer. i was stun, i cried and i had mood swings for about aweek. nelson i have hundreds of questions,but i can't ask them all here. my question to you is about staying healthy.my cd4 count is 757 and my viraload count is664. im pretty athletic i run about 2 miles every other day and i do strength exercise every other day. what advise can you give me about nutrition and excersise to maintian a good quality of life. i know that i most keep my immune system very stong. soany advised that you can share i would really appreciate. thank you for your help.

Response from Mr. Vergel

You have great numbers and do not need treatment yet. That is a good thing. Make sure you have a good HIV doctor with at least 100 HIV patients. Try to find ways to minimize stress. Get a counselor if you can (someone who is experienced about HIV issues). Try to balance your meals well with lean meats, nuts, cheese, vegetables and fruits, lots of water, tuna and salmon. Monitor your weight every week if you can. Try to work out with weights three times a week for an hour, and do some cardio for 20 min right after that. Minimize your sugar and animal fat. Take a good multivitamin twice a day with meals.

You are doing the right thing by coming to thebody.com. It is one of the best places to get information about HIV on the web. For more information about nutrition and exercise, you can visit medibolics.com.

Taking care of yourself early in the game is a great thing to make sure you remain strong and you prolong the time you are off medicines. Make sure you get your T cells and viral load monitored every 3-4 months and do not let your T cells go below 350 without treatment.

Keep me informed about how you are doing and hang in there. HIV can be a wake up call to take care of yourself better and to get closer to your spirituality and role in life. And you will get to a point when you will not worry about it at all unless you are not feeling well.

Nelson

Previous
question about supps and Houston buyers club
Next
thank you nelson, what should I do?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.