For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

just tested positive

dear vergel; I just found out that im hiv positive. 3/19/04. on that day i felt like i was hit with asledge hammer. i was stun, i cried and i had mood swings for about aweek. nelson i have hundreds of questions,but i can't ask them all here. my question to you is about staying cd4 count is 757 and my viraload count is664. im pretty athletic i run about 2 miles every other day and i do strength exercise every other day. what advise can you give me about nutrition and excersise to maintian a good quality of life. i know that i most keep my immune system very stong. soany advised that you can share i would really appreciate. thank you for your help.

You have great numbers and do not need treatment yet. That is a good thing. Make sure you have a good HIV doctor with at least 100 HIV patients. Try to find ways to minimize stress. Get a counselor if you can (someone who is experienced about HIV issues). Try to balance your meals well with lean meats, nuts, cheese, vegetables and fruits, lots of water, tuna and salmon. Monitor your weight every week if you can. Try to work out with weights three times a week for an hour, and do some cardio for 20 min right after that. Minimize your sugar and animal fat. Take a good multivitamin twice a day with meals.

You are doing the right thing by coming to It is one of the best places to get information about HIV on the web. For more information about nutrition and exercise, you can visit

Taking care of yourself early in the game is a great thing to make sure you remain strong and you prolong the time you are off medicines. Make sure you get your T cells and viral load monitored every 3-4 months and do not let your T cells go below 350 without treatment.

Keep me informed about how you are doing and hang in there. HIV can be a wake up call to take care of yourself better and to get closer to your spirituality and role in life. And you will get to a point when you will not worry about it at all unless you are not feeling well.

question about supps and Houston buyers club
thank you nelson, what should I do?