lipodystrophy

Nelson--

I just started back to the gym after two years. I believe I have lipodystrophy because my fat is around my belly and thighs mainly. My question is, will excersize and a good diet reverse this? I'm determined to take off the weight I gained over the last two years, but am affraid of the effect on the rest of my body. I am not currently on HIV meds due to good CD4 and VL numbers. So i'm hoping I can get fit again and not look like I'm HIV+. Is that possible?

Thanks! Mike

Yes, it is. I have been positive for 21 years and most people would not know it by looking at me. You do not have to fall apart because of HIV. But you need discipline and time for yourself. You need to make your health and your body a high priority.

Try to watch your sugar and animal fat intake. Maximize your lean proteins, vegetables, fruits and soluble fiber. Work out 3-4 times a week for an hour. Take a good multivitamin with breakfast and dinner. Keep track of your blood work, making sure your LDL cholesterol and triglycerides are not high. Have your hormone levels checked once a year. Avoid drugs like Zerit that cause fat wasting or like Crixivan that causes insulin resistance. Have a BIA test done to know your bodoy composition every 3-6 months (ask your doctor). Have your doctor refer you to a HIV experienced dietitian (not just a general one who pushes the food pyramid on everybody with no regards to their medical condition). Eating a balanced diet and exercising can be your insurance against having body changes.

Nelson

how can you not be scared? I admire you!
links to forhead wasting pictures?