Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Neuropathy Comment
Mar 27, 2004

Nelson, I read a response you gave a person regarding neuropathy. You stated that you felt his numbers were too good to have neuropathy. He was also not on HARRT so the neuropathy could not have been caused by that.

In my case it was the neuropathy which led me to discovering its cause, HIV itself. I too am not on HARRT and have fairly good numbers but do have a fairly severe case of PN. I'm actually taking 3600mg of Neurontin and 75mg of Amitriptyline daily.

And yes, in my case the Neurontin helps with the pain and the Amitriptyline helps with the burning. Even on those amounts of the drugs some of the neuropathy symptoms sneak through daily, but once I got used to the drugs, my life is improving greatly.

I had many doctors tell me my pain could not be neuropathy because it was too early in my infection. Therefore they never ordered any tests nor prescribed any meds for it. Not until I switched to doctor S. did I get the attention and proper diagnoses.

Your readers should be aware that neuropathy can occur at any point of infection, although most PN in HIV+ patients is caused by HARRT, but not all of it.

As always thanks for the good work.

Response from Mr. Vergel

Thanks for the clarification!

nelson

Previous
Human Growth Complex
Next
sue ritonovir asses!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.