Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Fat mass and Bioelectric Impedance
Feb 29, 2004

I'm 45 years old and hiv infected since August 2001, still without any ARV therapy.(heitht 166 cm and stable weight 65-67 kg many years).About 8 months after I begun gaining weight: 67kg to 78 kg in 16 months wich I atributed to a better nutrition. But the fact is that BIO measurements said that fat mass increased from 23 to 38 ( lean mass even reduced about 6 kg), and my gut is more prominent. Tried resistance exercise at first but this changes seemed accelerate instead(?). Is this related to hiv infection? To my life style?Can you suggest some kind of training to ameliorate, since it seems only fat increases and muscle reduces..Thank you in advance

Response from Mr. Vergel

Your shift in body composition can be due to aging, life style and/or HIV infection (some studies show that a small percentage of HIV patients not taking meds may develop lipodystrophy also) I would go see a HIV experienced nutritionist. Watch your sugar, sodas, flour and sweet intake. Reduce or eliminate alcohol. Eat more fruits, vegetables and nuts. Lean meats of all kinds are good. Salmon, tuna, sardines, are rich with Omega 3 oils that are good for health.

Exercise using weights or machines for an hour 3-4 times a week. Do cardio exercise AFTER the weight training for 20-30 minutes, making sure you break a sweat.

More information on this in Built to Survive

Nelson

Built to Survive

Previous
Acne on Testim
Next
gynecomastia

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.