The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Travelling from overseas

Feb 2, 2004

Hello and thanks, but I couldn't see where I could ask this question, and you seem a pretty knowledgeable guy, so I hope you can help. I am HIV+ and on Combivir and Sustiva. I live in the UK and wish to visit friends in Washington during the summer. However, as I am HIV+ I should disclose my status to the US embassy here in London and apply for a visa waiver, which I am unlikely to get as I am a tourist and not travelling on business. My question......I can take the slightly risky route of taking my meds with me and hope a/i am not stopped and searced and b/ that if I am they don't recognise or know what my drugs are for. If I am stopped and they find the drugs and I have not declared my status then it's back home on the next plane for me. Is there another option? Could I go to a clinic/doctor on arrival in Washington and buy a supply for the duration of my visit? Or are these drugs strictly prescription only in the US? I'd be grateful for any information. This site has been of great support to me during my 1st year of diagnosis - many thank for your time and help in the past.

Response from Mr. Vergel

It is very unfortunate that people have to go through this ordeal to visit the US. It is so shameful. Anyway, I really cannot advise you about ways to break the law. I have heard of people shipping the medications ahead of time to friends or a hotel before they enter the country. All HIV meds are only available by prescription and they are very expensive here.


Nutrition and The book"built to survive"
what is your outake

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint