Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

T-Cell count
Jan 22, 2004

I am a 42 year old female who seroconverted about 1 year ago, my T-cell count has been around 346-360 not on meds yet. I read somewhere that an HIV neg individuals T-Cell count runs about 1200. How long will my T-cells hover at 350 if I don't take meds, if I am an absolute clean and sober exercizing person? Do people live for years like this? My viral load is 15,000. I'm just worried.Should I start meds if Tcells stay at 350??? My MD says no. The other thing that is making me worry is my husband recently had a big drop in TCells (from 500 to 320), while his VL has gone from 2000 to 9000. He has relapsed on drugs and etoh. Could the drugs etc be the sole cause of such a dramatic change or could the seasonal cold or flu cause such a drop? I'm worried about him. By the way he's sober now, living in a residential program and TRYING to get back on track Thank you for your time Lisa

Response from Mr. Vergel

Lisa:

It is very difficult to predict what T cells will do. Alcohol and street drugs have been documented to decrease immune function and adherence to medicatons. I am glad you are sorber and trying hard to stay that way. I would not take medications at your numbers, but would make sure I monitor my blood work every 3 months to make sure I am not close to 200. I am sorry to hear your husband has relapsed. Try to focus on your own health, eat well, exercise, and keep going to your meetings. Do talk to your doctor about what the options for you will have if your T cells drop or your VL goes up above 50,000 so that you are a step ahead of the game. many people stay at good numbers for a long time and do not need medications. But if you do need them, we have 20 medications approved and some are better tolerated than others by some people. There are also once a day combos that are working pretty well for those who can take them! Be well and keep the faith.

Nelson

Previous
fish oils
Next
egg powder

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.