The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Any suggestion on supplements for delaying the start of HAART?
Jan 22, 2004


My profile is: 36 years old male. Average weight. Does cardiovascular work out 3 times a week. Does not smoke. Healthy. Infected 6 years ago. On medication for the first 3 years only. Now with 800 CD4 and 25.000 VL.

What would you suggest as a good nutritional supplement for someone with this profile?

I understand a good nutritional supplement as being a set of medicines, vitamins, minerals, amino-acids, pro-hormones, fish-oild, marijuana, erbs, etc(whatever) that are commonly understood in by HIV experts as capable of delaying the progression of the infection and the depleting of the immune system to a level were HAART must be started. According to my labs history I am expecting to start on HAART 3-5 or more years from now, but would love to know about sound strategies that could help me secure this prospect or even delay it as far as possible.

Thanks for your help. L.

Response from Mr. Vergel

I wish I could have a straight answer from you. There have been some reports on selenium and B-vitamin defficiency and immune dysfunction. I would take a good multivitamin like SuperNutrition easy swallow packets, 2000 mg/day of fish oils (megabrite is a good brand at, and 15 grams a day of glutamine. Keep exercising (you may want to also start weight training), eating a balanced diet, and managing your stress. Fill your life is uplifting people and find your life purpose; those are the two best medicines to keep your immune system from failing.


Gynecomastia treatment
anabolics and cpk levels

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint