Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

let's figure this out: you and me
Jan 14, 2004

too many doctors immediately assume wasting is "lipoatrophy". of course, guys like you and me know this term is being abused. many wasting victims experience fat gain while they waste and this results in a fat/skinny appearance - even in the face. i think this is probably due to forcing food when the appetite is suppressed. appetite suppression probably comes from the body's inability to synthesize protein, so it signals to not eat anything, as it will only be stored as fat. anyway, i digress. facial wasting... the big problem. anabolics can't seem to restore the tissues in the face that are lost from wasting. probably because anabolics mainly enhance contractile skeletal muscle, and the face is not in the gym lifting weights, so building muscle back up in that area is not realistic. even in the rest of the body, testosterone and deca durabolin don't seem to reverse wasting, but instead, build on what muscle tissue has been spared throughout the wasting, which is why we can spot a poz person who is bulked up in some areas and clearly gaunt in other areas - no, this is not a lipoatrophy issue. human growth hormone showed to increase tissues in the body but never showed any benefit for contractile skeletal muscle. it was mainly organ tissue, water retention, bone, and muscle connective tissue. tendons and ligaments are included in this category if i'm not mistaken. wouldn't there be some benefit to facial tissues with the use of hgh? since facial muscle doesn't seem to respond to anabolics, might long term hgh elicit a response from these tissues? as you probably know, it is common knowledge in the bodybuilding community that using hgh in combination with testosterone creates a different type of growth in the body - different from either one separately. it seems like a no brainer for wasting victims to begin interviewing bodybuilders, and learning from their experiences and the state of their liver and kidneys etc. to make sure damage isn't occurring. wasting victims need to begin experimenting with testosterone deca hgh combinations to see the effects on facial wasting. i predict combining hgh with testosterone is the best approach to fighting or reversing facial wasting. between the two of them, they stimulate growth in just about all tissues of the body. that must include the face.

Response from Mr. Vergel

Unfortunately that is not true at all. Growth hormone and testosterone may increase water retention that may give the false appearance of increased soft tissue in the face. But after stopping the drugs, that water retention is lost. Both hormones are also known for increasing fat loss in the visceral and subcutaneous areas, so they may actually make facial wasting worse in the long term. Just look at bodybuilders out there, many have lost tissue in their cheeks.

nelson

Previous
NO2 Supliment
Next
Osteopenia

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.