any truth to this?

Too good to be true, I fear...

"In Samoa the traditional healers used a tea from the bark of a tree, Homoluthans nutans, to treat viral infections. Researchers at the National Tropical Botanical Garden in Hawaii investigated this bit of traditional knowledge further and discovered a novel compound, prostatin, that was licensed from the National Cancer Institute by the AIDS Research Alliance and in development for treating AIDS. This compound acts in a way no other AIDS treatment does. It activates all the known sites where HIV hides in the human body, which will allow for a clearing of the virus from the body."

Hi

This is the first time I have heard about this compound but a search in Google yield the following helpful websites. I am also forwarding your email to alterna-doc Nelson Vergel down the hall here at The Body.Com headquarters.

http://www.aidsresearch.org/spring2001.html http://www.aegis.com/conferences/2ndIASHIVPT/70.html

I contacted George Carter from FIAR about this and this was his answer:

I think it might be true--I'm forwarding your query to Irl Barefield of ARA as he probably has all the relevant data. What prostratin tends to do is to activate cellular reservoirs and get at HIV in these hard to get areas. Another derivative from an African plant also accomplishes this. How well it does this is not yet clear, but I'm hopeful it may be another good addition to the antiHIV arsenal.

Plus, ARA has developed an agreement that some %age of proceeds go to indigenous healers and other local needs in Samoa. This is the type of concept, utilizing fair trade principles, that FIAR is developing in our study in S. India and in one we hope to conduct in Nepal. George

George M. Carter Director, FIAR http://aidsinfonyc.org/fiar

Trizivir --- +Sustiva?
possibly optimistic situation