Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What is Radiacne in regard to Facial Waisting
Jun 13, 2003

Nelson, on June 1 you printed a message from a person who had used a treatment called Radiance to treat facial waisting caused by HIV. What exactly is Radiance, and is it an accepted tretment for HIV facial waisting. I have had New Fill treatments and have been very happy with them, but wonder now if there is something even better available. If this is a viable treatment are there any doctors in the LA area that offer it?

Response from Mr. Vergel

I answered a question similar to this one with this answer:

From : http://www.lipaugmentation.com/microimplants.htm#Radiance:

Bioform (off label formulation: Radiance, not Radianson) is in research trials in the US. It is made of calcium hydroxylapatite which has safely been used in the body for many applications including dental applications where bone build-up is needed for reconstruction and also in block form for cosmetic applications such as cheek, jaw, cranial and chin implants. The manufacturer claims that calcium hydroxylapatite creates a lattice where the surrounding cells can be incorporated from ossification in bony areas to a stable scaffold in which soft tissue can grow.

The manufacturer also claims that with Radiance, the calcium hydroxylapatite microspheres are suspended in a polysaccharide carrier which holds the microspheres in place until it is resorbed and the collagenation takes place. When injected in soft tissue, away from bone, fibroblasts work by building reportedly a non-scar tissue collagen type, thus creating volume in the treatment area.

My opinion: I have asked a few experts in the field and they say it is harder than all other injectables. It is also expensive at $1000 per cc. Some people may require 20 cc's for their faces, making it way too prohibitive. I think this product has no future for facial wasting (it may for wrinkles)

Previous
opinions
Next
cost of Radiance therapy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.