Bone Density Problem with Running?

I tested positive in summer 2000 and might have been HIV postive for up to two years prior. I started taking Combivir and Viracept the week of September 11, 2001. I recently started running every other day but stopped when it seemed like the joints or bones in my ankles were sore and seemed "frail." I'm 41, athletic in the past (basketball, running, cycling), but also used recreational drugs on a regular weekend basis the past 6 years. I haven't used the rec drugs since September 2002. I've since started running again with insoles but three times a week or less, and it seems better, but still a problem. I'm unemployed and can't afford calcium supplements. Could this soreness be caused by bone density loss? Also, it seems like I'm tiring more easily, but I guess that's to be expected?....

It is very difficult to tell. It would be good if you had access to an orthopedic or sports medicine doctor. The best way to determine if you have low bone density is to get a DEXA (dual X ray absorptiometry) scan done. I am not sure if you have access to this kind of tests (Medicare and insurance pay for it, otherwise it can run up to $150) I know you say you have no money for calcium supplements. Call your main AIDS service organization to see if they have any kind of free supplement program (some cities like Houston have programs like this). If in fact you have low bone desity, calcium plus vitamin D were shown to increase bone density by 1.8 % after 48 weeks in a small HIV study (not a great deal but at least it stopped any further bone loss) AZT has been associated with muscle myopathy in the past when it was used in larger doses. Carnitine supplements may help reverse that problem, but it has not been 100 % proven. Talk to your doctor about bone loss and muscle weakness. Let me know if you need anything else. Nelson

Self care for newly diagnosed
B-complex & Omega-3