The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep C +help with supplements

May 21, 2003

Hi Nelson,

My father has Hep C. He was on a 1 yr medication (peg intron and Rebetol) and currently on vacation till July, since he is not cured yet. During his medication, his Hemoglobin dropped below normal levels, at 13, normal (14-18), although he is not considered very anemic, but, he seems to have lost his energy, some weight..etc. Now, in few weeks, he will re start Hep C therapy again. What supplements can i get him to maintain good Hemogloben numbers and maintain really good energy?

Lately, i have gotten him iron, which were bought from a pharmacy; the IU is regular I believe.

Response from Mr. Vergel

I would be extremely careful with iron supplementation and liver disease since it can be toxic for some. I would have him talk to his doctor to get his B-12 and testosterone blood levels cheched (B-12 and testosterone defficiencies can lead to anemia. Supplementing to normal levels amy improve hemoglobin levels) Interferon can also cause anemia. A recent study has shown that epoetin alfa (EPO) given at 40,000-60,000 international units weekly significantly improves hemoglobin levels in patients receiving interferon-ribavirin combination therapy. Have him talk to his doctor about this. Nelson

HIV and looking good continued
positive but symptomless,what can be done to maintain health

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint