Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Nutrition and ExerciseNutrition and Exercise

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

LYMPHATIC SYSTEM AND EXERCISE
May 11, 2003

Gidday, My understanding is that in order for lymph to be realeased from the lymph nodes, it must be squeezed out through muscle contraction. Have I been misinformed or is this really the wasy it works? If this is the case, what are the pros and cons of having lymph circulation throughout ones system. Thank you in advance for the information.

Response from Mr. Vergel

Regular mild to moderate exercise and massage therapy greatly facilitate lymphatic flow, promoting our immune system's ability to deal more effectively with toxins and chronic illness (e.g., cancer). The lymphatic system collects and destroys toxins, bacteria and abnormal cells and provides a transportation network for the cells of our immune system. Unlike the circulatory system which has the heart to pump the blood, the lymphatic system does not have a pump, and thus, the lymphatic system relies on the contractions of our muscles (during daily activities and exercise) to pump the lymphatic fluid around the lymphatic system. When I organized the First International Conf on AIDS Wasting, we had a lecture on the effects of moderate exercise on immune cells. Some studies show increases in T cells and NK cells. Some of the researches in the audience brought up the fact that this increases in immune cells may be due to the improved lymphatic flow induced by exercise and not becaause of actual improvements in thymus functioning. I think the jury is still out. I hope this helps! nelson

Previous
VIUSID
Next
Two years down the track, well but worried & confused

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.