Zerit and Lipodystrophy

I tested positive about 2.5 years ago and was asked to be in a Zerit study. The study was to see how the new 1 pill a day would work. I took it in combination with Sustiva and Epivir. After about 2 years, I began body and facial wasting and then within about 30 days developed the nice buffalo hump. I went to my Dr. and I am now off the study and off meds doing a controlled break. My body and facial wasting symptoms are slowly dissappearing, but the hump, no such luck. Is there anything I can do, short of spending 3,000 to have it removed? And, of course, there's no guarantee that it won't just hump right back.

Thanks so much for all your advice!

I am glad your lipoatrophy is getting better. Ultrasound liposuction has been successful in removing the hump, but there is a 20-30 % return of the problem for some patients after a few months. Some patients are getting Medicare and insurance companies to pay for the liposuction if the hump caused neck pain or difficulty in sleep paterns. Serostim (growth hormone) has also been shown to decrease the size of the hump in some patients but it is not yet approved for lipodystrophy. There is some anecdotal (not proven in studies) use of testosterone gels/creams on the hump with good results. Are you still traking HAART? Talk to your doctor about these options.

How to exercise
ZERIT REPLACEMENT