vitamin supplements

hi mr vergel

my nutritionist tells me that vitamin supplements are more toxic than they are worth and that all my nutrients should be gotten from live foods etc. im very confused. what should i think about this?

Your dietitian may not be aware of the vitamin research in HIV, so I would look for a dietitian that is more familiar with HIV issues. Many of us do not consume the needed servings of fuits and vegetables. We also have an active infection and also experience diarrhea and malabsorption. Some medications may lower vitamin and aminoacid levels in the blood. And some others may also cause toxicity to the mitochondria. So, how can guidelines written for healthy people be applied to people with HIV? You may want to read this list just to familiarize yourself with some of the supplements that are used in HIV: http://www.medibolics.com/NelsonsVitamins.htm

Talk to your doctor about vitamin supplements and HIV. Also, make sure he/she refers you to a registered dietitian who is familiar with all the research on vitamin defficiencies in HIV. Let me know if you need any more information !

Herb Safety
b-12 shots