How Long For Diarrhea Treatments To Start Working?

Hello Dr., I've had chronic diarrhea for a while now and have tried several things to make it better. I tried calcium, but stopped after about 3 days because it left me feeling bloated, crampy, and constipated (same with all the over the counter anti-diarrhea products) -- Now, I've been taking Acidophilus for about 3 days and the diarrhea has not improved greatly, but the diarrhea does seem to be a little *different* than before the Acidophilus. My question: Generally, how long should one try products like these before deciding whether they are working or not?

Response from Dr. Fisher

Probably a week or so. Products like imodium and lomotil tend to work rapidly because they interfere (slow down) bowel motion. The ones you cite work differently; indeed more naturally, but more slowly. Make sure you have been adequately evaluated as to the cause of this diarrhea: stool tests, colonoscopy, etc.

AF

Loss of fat in buttocks possibly due to Abacavir?
abdomen pain