niacin?

hello, i'm f, 37 years old (17 poz) and since 3 years i have problems with my abdomen (intra-abdominal fat..) now, i heard about a treatment (study) with niacin (median dose 3000mg/day)--with good results!! can i try this with no risk? has niacin side-effects? do you know more about the niacin-study??

My doctor does not believe in any thing...the only right thing to do (for him) is: sport and a good diet...(but that's not enough for me...!!!)

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Niacin is well known to cause flushing, red face and sometimes diarrhea particularly at that dose. The study was not that impressive, but the niacin cannot do long term harm. If you want to try be aware of the red face issue and try to find the no flushing niacin! Good luck. DTD

Quetioning doctor's advice
weight loss