Is it me or the drugs?

Dear Michael, I really burst into tears when reading one of your answers, and in the end, between brackets I read that you also live w/ HIV. Your sincerity is great. It has been difficult to deal w/ HIV. Im taking antidepressants and seeing a therapist, but this week, after some trouble at work, I begun to have suicidal thoughts. I dont know if its me or my HAART drugs (Im on Sustiva for five months now). What is your advice? Robert

Response from Mr. Shernoff

No matter what the cause of these feelings, it is imperative that you address them immediately. I urge you to call your therapist right away, and NOT wait until your next regularly scheduled appointment to discuss these feelings with him or her. If you are unable to reach your therapist and feel like you possibly may act on these feelings than go to the nearest hospital emergency room at once and tell them how you are feeling and ask for help. There are also great suicide prevention hotlines staffed by skilled mental health professionals that you can call to speak with a person trained to work with people feeling like you are. But again, pleaase follow any or all of these suggestions to get the help that you need and deserve. Do it at once!!

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Unprotected HIV+ & HIV-
isolated