The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What Should Family expect?

Sep 7, 2000

My sister has had full blown AIDS for quite a while.

she also is on the pipe. She 3 kids a set of twins one daughter of 12. I really need help my family has lost 2 members to AIDS But this is the first we are seeing anything like this. Her mind is in and out she has about six chains on her door and will not let anyone in to see her. I am keeping her daughter with me, but she has the twins. The apartment is so hot that it is sweltering and the boys seam so afraid of her she saying things and in cases becoming violent HELP us make some sense of this. What should we do about the kids? What stage is this no one is there support for the family?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

First of all you have to call the local bureau of child welfare. The twins are in an abusive and neglectful situation. They have to be removed from their mother since she is clearly no longer able to care for them in a safe manner. I cannot diagnose your sister, but clearly she needs help that she is not getting. Her disease is no excuse for placing the welfare of her children in danger. There are supports for families at local AIDS service organizations.

Make that call today, as the lives, safety and emotional and physical well-being of the children is in danger.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

I think I'm going crazy
emotional impact of positive diagnosis

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint