What Should Family expect?

My sister has had full blown AIDS for quite a while.

she also is on the pipe. She 3 kids a set of twins one daughter of 12. I really need help my family has lost 2 members to AIDS But this is the first we are seeing anything like this. Her mind is in and out she has about six chains on her door and will not let anyone in to see her. I am keeping her daughter with me, but she has the twins. The apartment is so hot that it is sweltering and the boys seam so afraid of her she saying things and in cases becoming violent HELP us make some sense of this. What should we do about the kids? What stage is this no one is there support for the family?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

First of all you have to call the local bureau of child welfare. The twins are in an abusive and neglectful situation. They have to be removed from their mother since she is clearly no longer able to care for them in a safe manner. I cannot diagnose your sister, but clearly she needs help that she is not getting. Her disease is no excuse for placing the welfare of her children in danger. There are supports for families at local AIDS service organizations.

Make that call today, as the lives, safety and emotional and physical well-being of the children is in danger.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

I think I'm going crazy
emotional impact of positive diagnosis