Volunteer opportunities

Hi.

I have already written an inquiry to the general homepage of this web site, however, I ran across your link and wanted to ask you for more information. I am a senior at the University of Michigan, majoring in psychology. I hope to continue my education sometime in the next few years, working on my Masters and Ph.D in psychology. However, in the meantime I would love to explore any opportunities available to help counsel HIV/AIDS victims. I would like to travel abroad and maybe work in a third world country. I am aware of the Peace Corps and the services they provide but was wondering if you had any additional information on organizations that help the AIDS epidemic in foreign countries. Thank you for all your help.

Sincerely,

Shannon

Response from Mr. Shernoff

What concerns me is that despite your good intentions, counseling people with HIV/AIDS takes special training. You do not have to have an advanced degree, but there is a basic level of information and skills required. Unless you receive this training I do not think it wise for you to do counseling. I am unable to provide you with any information regarding organizations that do work with people outside the US.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Long term infected, personality repercussions?
I think I'm going crazy