Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Long term infected, personality repercussions?
Sep 9, 2000

(foreign -- sorry spelling mistakes)

I was diagnosed hiv in 1985. Up till I was twenty I had drug problem which stopped in 1985 too. Since then I have lived with this problem and I have seen, in the early stages, people die including my own sister. I was married to a negative for 8 years and during that time problem did not affect me so much. Since broke up I have gone through all experiences; fear of people knowing, anxiety establishing relationships, coping with rejection and fear of me etc. As time goes by and this problem is more socially accepted I have opened up and made my friends aware etc. Now what I see is the side effects problem which unable people that maybe will not get sick integrating as very few people want to get a relationship together or employ or .... with someone physically affected. I have yet not experienced that either, still is like if I had experienced everything, and I feel I am certainly "touched" by all this at this stage and there is no way back. I also think I have developed a certain degree of paranoia along the years; analyze too much and too intensely everyday situations, people and feelings. Do you think that is normal?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

I am sorry but it is not clear what you are asking. Yes, it is normal to focus a lot of energy on living with a chronic illness. Yet there needs to be a time when things become normalized and the illness just becomes one part of your life, not it's whole focus. If there is a skilled mental health professional near where you live, you may want to think about consulting with him or her to get professional help in sorting out these important feelings and issues.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Depressed -- How can I move away?
Next
Volunteer opportunities

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.