Depressed -- How can I move away?

Doctor -- My best friend was diagnosed a little over a year ago and began treatment. He has experienced so many changes during this year; meds, fatigue, etc., and I have been here to support him. I love him now like a brother (he is my x) and want to always be here to take care of him, support him, but I now have been offered a job promotion that will take me 2000 miles away. How can I make this move without feeling like I am leaving him? I'm torn and depressed. Please advise me. Thanks.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

Of course you will be leaving him if you take the job. You have to weigh which is more important to you, being in close proximity to this other person or moving on with your life? Of course you can always ask him to relocate also, so there need not be a choice.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Follow up to I think I'm going crazy
Long term infected, personality repercussions?