Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Depressed and incapacitated over possible HIV infection.
Sep 26, 2000

I think I might have been infected with HIV by performing oral sex on another guy about one month ago. I got sick about 3 weeks after the initial encounter, and now I live in fear that I have it. It permeates everything, I can't work, eat, sleep. I find myself lying in bed at 7 in the evening, crying and running through scenarios about what if I have it. How do I tell my parents, who don't even know that I am gay, that I am 23 and going to die? Do I commit suicide, I don't want to die the way people with AIDS die. Things like that. I have been distracted and making mistakes at work. I recently visited my parents, and they could tell that something was wrong, even a friend of the family asked me what was wrong. I find myself thinking about it more and more, and I'm still two months away from the first possible testing window. I am in therapy over being gay, but it's a masters student working on their PhD, I am afraid that they couldn't handle it or it might leak out that I think I am gay and might have HIV. I don't know what to do.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

Start by sharing all of your concerns with your therapist. There is no way that he or she can help you if you are not disclosing all of your feelings. It sounds like you are tortured about being gay and your reaction to thinking that you might be infected is a hysterical response to your not feeling good or comfortable about your homosexuality. Tell your therapist all of your fears about him or her and then see what happens. If you are not satisfied with the reaction you can always find another therapist.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
therapy versus medication
Next
THIS IS TOO MUCH TO HANDLE

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.