Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Negative, but Anxiety even after 9-1/2 months
Oct 31, 1997

Hi Michael,

It has been 9 and a half months since a possible exposure with a sex-industry worker.

I will not even go into all the pain I have gone through. I have taken (literally) 30 tests,

abstained from sex with my Girlfriend for 6 months. At 6 months, I thought I have gotten my

life back. So, went on to having regular sexual intercourse with my GF. Now, nine

months after the exposure (and 3 months into resuming my sexual life with my GF),

she and I both came down with yeast infection. All my fears have come back to me.

Life is miserable again, and when I should be working, I am scouring the internet to get the

answer "Could this yeast infection be because of my exposure 9-1/2 months ago".

I also tested -ve for P-24 antigen test at 5-1/2 months and last -ve Antibody test was

5 days ago on 10/23/97.

Please help me with this answer. Is it possible for the virus to be living in my urethra

for the last 9-1/2 months and now it is starting to show effect. Please answer thsi question.

I am suicidal. Maybe by the time you would reply I would have taken another test, and hopefully would be -ve;

because if it is +ve, I would have killed myself.

Thanks and keep up the good work. Please cc a copy of your answer to pithoo@hotmail.com, because I wouldn't

know where to look for the answer. It is an anonymous email address.

Thanks again.

Miserable

Response from Mr. Shernoff

Clymidia and other vaginal yeast infections have been plaguing women long before HIV entered our collective unconscious. In addition to your repeated testing I owuld suggest that you also have your girl friend be tested to confirm her status. But in any case the high level of anxiety that you are exhibiting is having a very serious impact on your life and emotional health and well being. HAve you considered seeking out a good counselor or psychotherapist so you can have a place to explore what in fact might be contirbuting to your extreme reaction to the unprotected sexual incident you describe? ALso you say that if you do test HIV+ you would kill yourself. This is really very extreme, especially with all the advances in treatments now available. I would urge you to begin counseling so you can get the help you need and deserve in order to ahve all of these very intense feelings become more manegable for you. Goo luck and i hope that you are in fact still HIV-.

Michael Shernoff

Previous
IS Six Months long enough?
Next
WHERE TO NOW!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.