Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Obsessive Compulsive Behaviour(OCB) ?
Aug 3, 1998

1. I read that people with OCB are usually very paranoid, especially when it comes to diseases and getting sick. Well, I noticed that I am very paranoid..especially when it comes to diseases ( especially HIV and cancer )..many times I have scared myself into thinking that I may be infected HIV or have cancer or other diseases. Other than that, I have other odd behaviour. Sometimes, I have this 'urge' to touch things. For example, sometimes, when I walk pass a door, I would have this urge to touch the door knob or I might have an urge to kick the leg of a chair. I also like to keep useless old things for a long time before I have the heart to throw it away. Those are some of my behaviour that makes me think I have OCB although I have read about more serious cases where people wash their hands or brush their teeth many times. Could it be that I have mild OCB ?

2. I also have this habit ( I tried stoping..but the urge was too great..like an addiction ) of peeling scabs from wounds which are not healed properly with a nail clipper which sometimes causse bleeding. Is this a common practice with everyone or is this the first time you have heard of it ? This is because I shared the same nail clipper with my former room mate and if it is a common practice ( that means he does that too),that means blood born disease could be transmitted.

Please answer my questions because I am sort of paranoid..not I think I might have been infected by HIV by sharing nail clippers..I scared myself billions of times already and I hope you can ease my fear this time. Do I have OCB or am I just a plain paranoid hyper-imaginative pessimistic person.?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

It is virtually impossible to try and offer any assessment of whether or not you may have an obsessive disorder. Since this is of such great concern to you the only thing to do is to find a well trained and licensed mental health professional and have a consultation with him or her in order for them to do a multi-faceted diagnostic assessment. You definitely can not catch HIV from sharing a nail clipper with someone.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
follow up....
Next
Fear Controlling My Life

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.