Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I dont know what to do
Feb 15, 1999

Hello Dr Shernoff. The reason why I am writing this to you its because I've been feeling so down. Sometimes I do feel that I'm depressed. The reason for all this sadness is because of the possiblity of me having HIV. I've might have been exposed to the virus and now I think I'm suffering from a few symptoms. I dont know my HIV status yet, but I am pretty sure that I am. I've been thinking so much for the longest time. I think about my life, my family, my friends and other things. I pray whenever I can, just to make myself feel better. But I do want to be better, but I dont know how. I feel like I cant get out of this rut. I dont know what to do, doctor. I feel like the world is over...I feel like my life is over. How can I feel better? I really do wish I have the answer for that, otherwise I wouldnt be sad now. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

If you believe that you are infected than just worrying about it will not help you. You must call a doctor who is an expert in HIV and ask him or her to test you and examine you. Whether or not it turns out that you have been infected than you should ask the doctor for a referral to a mental health professional and make an appointment to get professional help that may or may not include anti-depressant medications.

You certainly sound depressed and are reporting symptoms of depression. These may or may not lessen if you do not get help. But if you do not get help now and feel better, then they will most likely return. This is why I urge you to first have a medical consultation in order to determine what state your physical health is in, and then a mental health consultation. If you are infected, knowledge is power and you will be able to make decisions that will help you regain a sense of control in your life.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
I CANT GET OVER THIS
Next
Please try to help me.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.