When do symptoms begin? I am a wreck waiting..

I have been with the same person for 12 years. Before that I did have sex using only birth control. I never even thought about hiv, until I started reading about it. Could it be this long and I have no symptoms yet? I do get canker sores once in awhile, but other than that I feel fine. The problem is, I can't stop worrying over HIV. What types of symptoms would be present at this stage? I can't sleep, or eat really, from the fear. Any advice would be appreciated.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

The only way to know for certain whether or not you have HIV is to get tested. If I were to give you a list of symptoms, from what you say in your letter it would not be helpful becasue then you would begin to obsess over them. I strongly suggest that you see your doctor and discuss all of your concerns with him or her and let them do a medical evaluation to set your mind at rest one way or the other.

But I would guess that prior to HIV you probably worried about having other medical conditions. Whether or nto this is the case, the kind of worrying you describe indicates that you culd probably benefit form professional counseling to help you get a handle on why you are feeling the way you do.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Please help!
Could I have AIDS?