Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

When do symptoms begin? I am a wreck waiting..
Apr 21, 1999

I have been with the same person for 12 years. Before that I did have sex using only birth control. I never even thought about hiv, until I started reading about it. Could it be this long and I have no symptoms yet? I do get canker sores once in awhile, but other than that I feel fine. The problem is, I can't stop worrying over HIV. What types of symptoms would be present at this stage? I can't sleep, or eat really, from the fear. Any advice would be appreciated.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

The only way to know for certain whether or not you have HIV is to get tested. If I were to give you a list of symptoms, from what you say in your letter it would not be helpful becasue then you would begin to obsess over them. I strongly suggest that you see your doctor and discuss all of your concerns with him or her and let them do a medical evaluation to set your mind at rest one way or the other.

But I would guess that prior to HIV you probably worried about having other medical conditions. Whether or nto this is the case, the kind of worrying you describe indicates that you culd probably benefit form professional counseling to help you get a handle on why you are feeling the way you do.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Please help!
Next
Could I have AIDS?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.