Hetro Couple Blues

My husband is +, I am -. I read most of The Body every week and we are also involved somewhat in our local aids health group. Yet we still feel very left out by our very hetro lifestyle, not that we want to change it. I guess what I'm trying to say is, are there so few hetro couples that very little is ever addressed to them? Are they hiding in a closet somewhere or am I just missing it? I have nothing against gay people. On the contrary, they seem to be the only people with any idea about living with this disease. Every time we have to tell someone for whatever reason I see this look on their face that makes me want to scream, no he's not gay or an IV drug user. Are there other people who feel this way? How do I find them?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

Non gay people who have HIV and who are not former IV drug users or their sex partners are a true minority of people with HIV/AIDS. The largest group of these people are people who have needed blood clotting factors. I can certainly empathize with how isolated you and your husband must feel. The only suggestion I have is to go to all the HIV/AIDS chat rooms on line and post notices and attempt to meet other heterosexual individuals and couples in that fashion. Best of luck.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Childrens with AIDS
Should I tell people?