Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hetro Couple Blues
Aug 3, 1998

My husband is +, I am -. I read most of The Body every week and we are also involved somewhat in our local aids health group. Yet we still feel very left out by our very hetro lifestyle, not that we want to change it. I guess what I'm trying to say is, are there so few hetro couples that very little is ever addressed to them? Are they hiding in a closet somewhere or am I just missing it? I have nothing against gay people. On the contrary, they seem to be the only people with any idea about living with this disease. Every time we have to tell someone for whatever reason I see this look on their face that makes me want to scream, no he's not gay or an IV drug user. Are there other people who feel this way? How do I find them?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

Non gay people who have HIV and who are not former IV drug users or their sex partners are a true minority of people with HIV/AIDS. The largest group of these people are people who have needed blood clotting factors. I can certainly empathize with how isolated you and your husband must feel. The only suggestion I have is to go to all the HIV/AIDS chat rooms on line and post notices and attempt to meet other heterosexual individuals and couples in that fashion. Best of luck.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Childrens with AIDS
Next
Should I tell people?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.