HIV- always involved with HIV+

My partner of 1 year is HIV-. I am +(15 years) and healthy.

Both his previous relationships were with +, 1 is deceased and the other is alive and well. When we met, he told me he was interested in me and not the disease, including contracting it. We always have safe sex. My question is, why would someone who is - always seek out a +. He says it is just coincidental.

Thanks

Response from Mr. Shernoff

I think that if you have found your partner to be honest and trustworthy that you need to believe him that he is not someone who was out cruising for an HIV+ individual, but is someone who has just connected with three different positive men. If you live in one of the epicenter cities where more than one half of all gay men are positive, then it is easy to see how this would happen. I don't understand your concern and the worry that appears to be influencing your question. If you have met a loving, sensitive, fun guy who has fallen for you, and he is not pushing to do high risk behaviors, try to relax within the relationship.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Coping in a new relationship with a negative partner
Difficulty Disclosing