Immune to antidepressents?

After taking prozac for 2 years i was put on zoloft....i have now taken zoloft for about 4 years. I understand that both prozac and zoloft are in the same class of drugs. I now feel somewhat depressed at times. Is it possible to become immune to these drugs? Should I try prozac again or maybe a whole new class of antidepressents?

thank you Jim

Response from Mr. Shernoff

You raise a very good and sophisticated question. People can at times become tolerant to certain drugs, certain classes of anti-depressants and certain dosages of these drugs. This is why it is crucial to have a professional relationship with a very knowledgeable psychopharmacologist (a psychiatrist who is specifically trained in prescribing and monitoring psychiatric medications) and NOT have your primary care physician prescribe psycho-tropic medications. There are other classes of anti-depressants. If you experienced any reduction in your symptoms on Prozac or Zoloft that is a very good sign that anti-depressant medications can help control and minimize or even alleviate your depression. Make an appointment with your psychopharmacologist, and discuss this situation with him or her. If you do not have a prescribing psychiatrist, ask your doctor to refer you to one. It is very important that you get your depression under control before it worsens. If left untreated, depression can very often be a progressive illness.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Forgetfullness and confusion?
WHY IS LOVING ONESELF IMPORTANT?