Is Xanax controlling my life?

Dear Dr. Shernoff: I was diagnosed as HIV positive 2 years ago (by telephone) by a physician whom I had visited only twice. I was devastated by the news, and very angry that she told me in this manner, not offering any mental health couseling options, nor did she have the heart to call me into her office, for the results. As a professional myself, I was aware as to how the results were to be disclosed to the patient, and by telephone was not the means. She simply apologized, and quickly prescribed xanax and a HIV specialist. I never saw this physician again. It has since been two years, and I am still on xanax!!! I work daily in a professional career, and am living a wonderful healthy life. Traveling, painting, and exercising fill my daily calendar. I feel that the Xanax however is not contributing to these elated feelings, for I was always this active. I do feel however that the Xanax is creating other problems. I am moody, agitated, have bouts of depression, dizziness, muscle cramps and spasms, difficulty sleeping and heart palipitations. My new doctor is evasive when approached about taking me off the xanax, almost to the point of keeping me on the benzodiazepine, simply for profit. Doctor, I am highly educated, and have never been on any antianxiety drug before. I feel that I was initially placed on this prescription simply because the doctor that diagnosed me with HIV, couldn't deal with the task of telling her patient, so she chose to doap me up and shew me away. The other medications that I am taking are AZT and 3TC. My cd4 count is 800. I feel great other than feeling that I am being dominated by xanax. I tried to stop taking the medication (xanax) and thought that I would Die!!! Pure withdrawal. I am aware, that this medication is used for short term relief of mild to moderate anxiety and nervous tension. What is your opinion? After 2 years, isn't it time to discontiue the xanax?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

You were clearly mistreated by the MD who told you about your HIV status. I am concerned that you were prescribed this medication without having a thorough psychiatric evaluation to determine in consultation with a psychiatrist whether you indeed suffered from enough of an anxiety disorder to warrant taking this medication. The best course of action now is to ask your current physician for a referral to a psychiatrist who is experienced in working with people with HIV. Make an appointment with this person and tell them the entire story and your feelings about wanting to stop the medication and work with him or her on a treatment plan for stopping under medical supervision. You have the right to determine whether or not you wish to continue to take any medication. If you follow this suggestion you will have the medical opinion and support you need in order to figure out how best to proceed.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Can a fundamentalist christian be a good doctor for Gays?
Is my doc not asking right questions?