Do doctors

I want to be a "good patient" and follow my drug regimen. My numbers have greatly improved during the last six months, but every time my doc tells me the "good news," I get more depressed. I also take Serzone. I've had problems with adherence over the years, and have discussed them my doc. I'm playing games with my dosing, and I think I'd like to stop taking all drugs for now. When I started my cocktail last summer, I agreed to be adherent. I'm concerned if I tell my doc, he'll fire me as a patient. What do you think? Any suggestions besides therapy?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

I would urge you to begin by being completely honest with your doc. There is no way that the two of you can be partners in your health care unless he or she knows exactly what you are doing with your medications. If you like and respect your doc, and its sounds like you do, I'd suggest beginning by telling him or her that you need to have a difficult conversation with them and that you are worried that they may fire you as a patient. AND THAT THIS IS NOT SOMETHING THAT YOU WANT TO HAPPEN. Then proceed to tell them exactly what you have been doing and discuss togethewr what your options are. This will not be easy, but I am sure that you will feel better once you are not carrying around this secret. Good luck. Michael Shernoff, MSW

horrible mood swings are ruining my life
Should I be worried?