Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How to tell a 10 yr old his Mom has AIDS
Oct 22, 1997

I am an HIV positive woman and I have a 10 year old who is negative. I have never told him that I am sick. I say I'm visiting an old aunt when I visit the doctor. I am very careful to keep it from him. But I have been thinking about setting up some sort of adoption arrangement if I die. I guess I'll have to tell him if I do. But I feel like I will fall apart. He's so carefree and so innocent. He helps me stay strong. Any suggestions for how to go about telling him and not having both him and I fall apart?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

This is a terribly complex and emotionally charged issue. I would urge you if you are not already seeing a skilled family therapist to begin consulting with one in order to develop strategies for disclosing you health condition to your son. I am firm believer that secrets are not healthy within a family, and that in your desire to protect your son, you are really protecting yourself. By all means you have to make contingency plans for who will care for him, not just in the eventuality of your death, but in case you are hospitalized. These are crucial in order to be a responsible parent and to insure that your wishes will be followed if you do become seriously ill or worse. There are some good books out now, and even a video about how parents can tell their children they have HIV or AIDS. The video is entitled "Don't Shut Me Out." It is available for $20 by sending a check to The Center for Special Studies, B-24, New York Hospital, 525 East 68th St. NYC 10021. I think the advantages of your no longer having to shield your son from the reality of your health condition will vastly outweigh the initial discomfort that will certainly occur. It will be a painful conversation, but ultimately will make you two closer. Be careful not to overwhelm him with more information than he needs or can understand.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Can I do it all by myself?
Next
Is not knowing of mom's AIDS stopping son's healing process?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.