Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

living in fear of contracting aids
Nov 2, 1998

Dear Dr. Shernoff:

I am currently working with a young man who is a hemophiliac. He came to the US as a young boy from a country where the chances of contracting AIDS from a blood transfusion are much higher than they are in this country. Due to circumstances beyond his control, he may have to return to his native country. He is very concerned about his chances of contracting AIDS from tainted blood if he were to return. I would greatly appreciate if you would offer your expert opinion as to what psychological effect this may have on him, so that I may better understand what he is going through. Thank you.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

He is obviously experiencing a completely normal and healthy terror about contracting HIV. After he returns to his native country, I would expect that he might very likely begn to manifest symptoms of an acute anxiety disorder that can also be accompanied by a reactive depression as his fears grow in repsonse to his needs for blood products.

My clincial suggestions are to begin to try and help him identfiy, by using his premorbid coping styles, defenses and characterological makeup, how he might think his anxiety and depression (which needs to be normalized and not at all pathologized) might present so he will not be surprised by the emergence of a variety of symptoms.

Beginning here, I'd also suggest working with him to try to develop strategies in advance for his coping with these critical uncertainties that can lead to his becoming infected and his potential emotional responses to these expected stressors.

Will it be at all feasable after he leaves the US, for you and he to remain in contact either via phone or e mail, or even through a mail correspondance so that he has the supportive and therapeutic continuity of his relationship with you to help sustain him?

I hope this is helpful. I really feel for him, and for you as his clinician.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
HIV Test.
Next
MY BOYFRIEND NO LONGER CARES ABOUT ANYTHING!!!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.