Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do they have the right to know?
Apr 21, 1999

A former partner of mine has been diagnosed as HIV+ for the last 3 years. I know for a fact that he continues to have sexual relations with unsuspecting women and does not disclose the fact that he is HIV+. My question is should I mention to these women(whom I know) about his condition. I would feel really horrible if one of them should get infected.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

Boy is this the $64,000 question? I think that if your former partner is not letting sexual partners know, and you are friends with them then you have an obligation to approach this issue with them. Do you have any knowledge of whether he practiced safe sex with them? One way of approaching this might be by bringing up the issue of safe sex with them and inquiring if they used condoms when they were with your former partner? But be prepared that you will be probably setting yourself up for some very difficult times. The women may feel very violated by your approaching them, or very thankful. They may not trust your motives at all and you may be the target of their anger, whether this is appropriate or not. So think it over carefully before you decide to do anything. Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Can't watch son die anymore
Next
A Friend of Mine Has An HIV Problem

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.