Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Depressed AIDS widow
Jul 17, 1997

I lost my lover 2 years ago. I have AIDS too and even though the new medications are working splendidly I really don't feel like surviving. I mean I thought I would just die like my lover. And now having to deal with the realities. Having to look for another lover...etc. I don't have the energy and I really can't get used to the idea that I will survive long enough for it to matter. Any suggestions?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

You sound very depressed. Have you ever consulted with a therapist to have your level of depression evaluated and treated? The hopelessness, helplessness and powerlessness you describe are classic symptoms of depression which can respond to both psychotherapy and anti-depressant medication.

Are you in a support group with other people with AIDS where you can talk about your fears and loneliness? If not I would suggest that you seek one out. Also, have you ever been in a bereavement group for people who have lost a loved one to AIDS? This might also provide you with some help in working through your grief.

Why do you feel that you now have to look for another lover? That is putting an enormous amount of pressure on yourself to do something you just may not be ready to handle now... or ever. If you are able to spend time with friends and family with whom you feel close, are they a comfort at all?

Losing a lover to AIDS, especially when you are sick yourself is tremendously complex and difficult. Remember, this is certainly not a period of your life to be isolated from needed supports.

Good luck.

-- Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Finding the motivation to continue..
Next
Perspective: partner with AIDs dementia

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.