Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

SUPPORT GROUP FOR GAY WIDOWERS
May 21, 1998

I'd like to know if there is a support group for gay widowers in New York City. I was in a terrific, loving relationship for over 10 years. My partner died of AIDS over three years ago, and I've remained HIV negative. I'm just beginning to feel like I have a new life of my own. The first year is still a blank - like SIZEABLE memory loss. The second was nuts - trying to get him back through someone else. The third was a lot better - learning to do "alone" and enjoy it. Any suggestions?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

I am very sorry to hear that your partner died. As a gay widower myself, here are a few suggestions in response to your question. I just edited an anthology entitled Gay Widowers: Life After The Death of A Partner which is an inexpensive paper back that you can buy at A Different Light Bookstore or order through the internet at Amazon.com. St. Vincent's Hospital has a free ten week bereavement group for anyone who has lost a loved one due to AIDS. SAGE, Senior Action in a Gay Environment also runs a free bereavement group. I just received a phone call yesterday from a man who has organized a brand new group specifically for gay widowers through the Center Bridge program at the New York City Lesbian and Gay Community Services Center on West 13th St. His name is Timothy Lunsford. Call the Center, ask for Dana Rose, the coordinator of Center Bridge and then ask about the newly formed gay widowers group. Best of luck.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
HIV/Depression
Next
apathetic doctors

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.