Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Floundering
Dec 10, 1998

Some of your answers have been very helpful and pertinent in my case. But I do have a question.

I'm dealing with a little deamon called "No future". I make short term goals just to survive to the next day but it is becoming not enough. My short term memory loss is just severe enough that I am unemployable. Volunteer work and school don't cut it. My general health is fair after 16+ years of HIV and 6 years of disability from AIDS. I've been living with it but I'm at my wits end what to do with myself. Is there a group of long term suvivors that have already dealt with these issues. Where can I go my therapist has been little help. My monetary and local resources are limited.

Gary

Response from Mr. Shernoff

I am sorry that I wil lnot be of very much help to you. I know that there are other long term survivors who do deal with these issues. Whether or not there is an existing group fo them that meets to discuss these issues is unknown to me.

I suggest that you go to the HIV+ chat rooms and post a question there and seek to meet other people with HIV and AIDS who are experiencing short term memory loss on line and develop an on line support group. Additionally call your local AIDS service organization and ask about referrals to any specific groups for people suffering from HIV related neuro-psychiatric impairment. Many of the major medical centers in the large cities are currently conducting studies of this condition and may also have some kind of psycho-social support services available. I apologize for not being more helpful. Godd luck.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Characteristics
Next
When should you start taking anti-depressants?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.