Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Telling the Parents....
Aug 26, 2001

I am 26 years old, and just found out last week that I am HIV+. My parents have known that I was gay since my sophmore year of high school, and they have always been supportive of anything that I do. I am incredibly close to my parents, (who live in another state) and I have a few questions to ask:

1- Is there a set "timeline" for these things?

2- Knowing my parents, (esp. my mother)I am very worried about her reaction (after I leave to come back home) and the subsequent state of mind that one or both of them will be in.

PLEASE do not get me wrong- They will not love me any less- I know this- but I am very worried that this news will ravage them. I have been given many different opinions on this by many different people, and I'm at a loss for what to do. Please excuse my babbling, but I'm suffering from information overload right now

Thank You

Response from Mr. Shernoff

There is not any time table for when is best to tell your parents. What is best is at a time that you feel very strong and cetnered and do not need anything emotionally from them as they will probably need alot of reassurance and support from you.

Of course your mom will be devastated, that is a normal initial reaction. Over time as she sees that you are and remain healthy that should diminish. One thing you can do is to have alot of information available to give to them so they can educate themselves. Also if they live in an area where there is an active PFLAG chapter they should ocntact it and speak to other parents who are living with HIV+ sons to get support.

Encourage them to tell as many people as they need to in order to maximixe the support they need.

Since you have a great track record with them about their accepting your being gay, that should make things easier.

Best of luck.

MIchael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Emotional effects of HIV/AIDS
Next
Are these emotions normal?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.