Doc thinks I'm depressed. I think it's the meds.. Confused

I am confused. I was diagnosed with aids 6 months ago and my CD4 was 125 and vl 500,000+ My figures have improved: CD4 is 275 and vl 500. I have told my Doc that I am having trouble with fatigue and she thinks I am depressed. I have told her I am 'down in the dumps' but due to constant tiredness. How do I differentiate between tiredness and depression? Does the differentiation really matter when it comes to taking anti-d's? I have resisted going onto anti-depressants but wonder if I should go ahead and try them now, regardless of the fact that the 'blues' may be due to a physical reaction to the meds. I have had all the blood-tests done and my Doc has said everything is okay with regard to OI's etc. Therefore I am assuming I am having a 'fatigue' reaction to the meds: Combivir & Indinavir. Depressed or tired? Can I take anti-d's regardless or should I ask my Doc to be more creative with the choice of meds? I think I've asked a simple question but over-complicated it in the writing!! I hope you understand. Thanks

Response from Mr. Shernoff

While it is possible that you are tired from your antiviral medications that is not the only possibility. I have actually never heard of a person getting depressed symptoms, (other than fatigue) from anti viral therapy. In order to rule out all possible causes for your tiredness, please ask your doctor to order a blood test that will check your blood testoserone levels as many people with HIV have low levels of testoserone that may also make a person tired.

You should also ask your primary care doctor for a referral to a psychiatrist who is a specialist in working with people with HIV so that he or she can do a professional assessment of whether or not you have symptoms of a clincial depression that might be contributing to your tiredness, but could respond to the correct medication.

Frankly I never have understood whyt so many people resist trying antidepressants when they are suffering from symptoms of depression. These medications are NOT "Happy Pills," that make anyone feel better. They only work if there is a biological depression. If in consultation with a good psychaitrist it is determined that you are suffering from depression I urge you to follow the advice, if it is given to begin antidepressants. They will only make you feel better.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

what can I do now!?
Interleukin2