Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lost Daughter
Jul 12, 2001

My mother is 39 years old and I am the oldest of her 2 daughters, her youngest is 10... In february my mother found out that she was HIV+. On 07/01 she went 2 see a neww doctor at a different hospitial because the hospitial that diagnosed her was not seeing or treating her . on 07/05/01 she got a call telling her she had cervical cancer,full blown Aids and Herpes... The day after she had left to take a walk and never came back. I filed a police report but I think she is a danger to herself. What can I do to help her and how can I help my sister she dosent know?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

This obviously has to be very stressful and painful to you. I don't think there is alot you can do besides what you have already done. The only thing I can think of is to try going to the local televsion networks and newspapers and ask them if they can do a story on your mother's disappearance and tell them that you are afraid for her, and that you'd like to broadcast an appeal for her to return to her family as you love her, care about her and want to take care of her and support her. This might appeal to the network producers as a human interest story. Obviously prior to doing this you need to speak to your sister and tell her the complete truth about what is going on. Additionally to help the both of you deal with all the feelings you are having about your mother's disappearance, you want want to consult a mental health professional as a family.

I hope that she returns to you unharmed. Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Antidepressants seem less potent
Next
Mental Block

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.